The following nutrients play a role in the immune system and can be found in a variety of foods:
* Beta Carotene is found in plant foods, such as sweet potatoes, spinach, carrots, mango, broccoli and tomatoes.
* Vitamin C-rich foods include citrus fruits, berries, melons, tomatoes, bell peppers and broccoli.
* Vitamin D is found in fatty fish and eggs. Milk and 100% juices that are fortified with vitamin D also are sources of this important nutrient.
* Zinc tends to be better absorbed from animal sources such as beef and seafood, but also is in vegetarian sources such as wheat germ, beans, nuts and tofu.
* Probiotics are “good” bacteria that promote health. They can be found in cultured dairy products such as yogurt and in fermented foods such as kimchi.
* Protein comes from both animal and plant-based sources, such as milk, yogurt, eggs, beef, chicken, seafood, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils and quinoa.
Focus on Balance
To help keep your immune system healthy all year long, focus on a balanced eating plan, adequate sleep and stress management.